Friday, September 18, 2009

Friday is here....

GR&DF thank you for the kind comments about my photos - I do enjoy taking and sharing them. I think the little things that we all pass on a daily basis have a beauty and structure that can enrich us all. It is difficult for me to take a moment and enjoy what is just beautiful and lovely. As we all move through life so quickly it is hard to just stop and enjoy - so I use photography to force me to stand a moment and just look and appreciate the moment, the object, the scene - whatever. There is a reason that "Stop and Smell the Roses" rings so true - move slower and appreciate more - I know I have to try hard not to just steamroll head first with a "get 'er done" mentality. Words from the edgar soap box.

I had a question about a piece I made a while back from Sharon - the silk was Belle Soie and the colours I used where - Rose of Sharon - for the flowers, Attic Tea - for the stems and leaves, Babbling Brook - for the Bird and Cinnamon Stick - for the letters and horn. The one thing to remember about BS silk is that the color lots are very different from skein to skein - and when I say very different I mean like night and day almost two very distinct colours with the same name kind of different - how I chose them was to get out all the Belle Soie colours and just shuffled them around until I had a combo that worked for me. That is often how I choose colours or floss for a project - I get whatever I want to use out and just pick what I like and what I think goes together - especially if I don't particularly like the colours or floss that the designer has chosen - or I am shifting from DMC to silk or over dyed cotton. I am working on a conversion for the Hetty Child project that is waiting until the rush of exchanges is over. I am shifting the colours from DMC to Belle Soie and I have run up against a couple of difficult bits in the sampler but this to shall pass and I will be satisfied with my final decision - or at least I hope I will!!

Last night I was once again exchange stitching so no snpperoos from that quarter.

I did watch a couple of good flickers - the first up was "Run Silent Run Deep" - 1958 starring Burt Lancaster and Clark Gable. A WWII submarine story that I really enjoyed. I did laugh out loud a couple of times at some of the models that were photographed and where supposed to be the subs - In one shot you could see the wire pulling the sub across the screen - overall a pretty good film - just don't look too close!! The second feature was one I had seen before - "Bertie and Elizabeth" - 2002 - a TV feature that is a very shortish overview of the lives of King George VI and Queen Elizabeth.

There you go sports fans!! Don't forget to throw in for my Birthday Present Drawing on this POST - Have a super weekend - and hope with me that it is sunny and that we sell all my junque!!

Take care,
edgar

7 comments:

  1. Have a lovely weekend Edgar - are you having your sale this weekend?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Because of your beautiful photots of your city my husband and I will be visiting in March or April.
    Keep up the great photos

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh good luck with the sale this weekend! I hope it's good weather this time! You're so right about stopping and slowing down and taking time to appreciate things. It can be hard to do though, can't it. That Bertie and Elizabeth movie sounds interesting. The WWII movie would probably make my son laugh with the models. I wonder if he'd enjoy it though, being a WWII buff of sorts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you SO very much for sharing your color choices. I honestly have sweaty-palm syndrome when it comes to swaying away from a designer's color choices. I really appreciate you taking the time to help me out...- you truly have a gift!! :)
    Good luck with the sale this week-end. I hope your Monday up-date will find you with grundles of $$$ in your pocket - more to spend on lovely new finds and even more lovely stitching treasures!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have a nice weekend, and I wish you lots of sunshine for your sale!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just dropping in to say how much I love your attitude to life! Sometimes it takes a harsh life event to make you sit back and start appreciating the 'smaller' things in life - taking photos regularly helps you to notice the smaller details and appreciate them for their beauty. I really enjoy seeing your photos each week - both of the city around you and your stitching :D
    http://shakatak66.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete

“In every end, there is also a beginning.”

 Gentle Friends, I finished the sampler last night and here's a snaperooo... Village Square Sampler from Samplers Remembered   1/8 - 3/2...