Thursday, November 5, 2009

Wonderful Fall

GR&DF it finally feels Fall like here in the Bay - nice crisp weather and beautiful produce at the Farmers Market. Yesterday was Wednesday Marketing and although there where fewer stands than normal it was still a joy to visit and get some produce. You know I took my camera and got some nice little snaps..... and here they are....

some beautiful Pomegranate's and persimmon's....


-and gorgeous collard greens - I took home a big ole bunch of these and will cook them up this weekend!!! Yummy!!! Rico really doesn't understand my love of the "green" and will eat a teaspoon full to be nice - but I just love them!!!


and these lovely fall flowers!!

I also picked up some fruit as I was getting a hankering for a buckle or crumble..... so when I got home I got to making one - Taking 3 pears, 3 granny smiths and 4 plums (they where smallish) pealing, coring and chunking ..... I threw them into a hot skillet with a pat of butter to get them cooking -


While they were cooking I greased up a dish and made a crumbly topping of oats, dark brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg (you can make a fruit dish and not put nutmeg in!)


and Yes - that is the Christmas cookie jar - I hauled that sucker out the other evening!! I haven't made any cookies yet so it only holds Vienna Fingers and Pecan Sandies for the time being.

Then 20 mins or so later out of the oven pops this....

A warm Fall dessert!! I love these homey delicious things!!

Yesterday's comments where really nice and I thought I should throw out some responses..... Yes, Nancy, I love those peppermint mocha's and had forgotten about them until I read your comment - I need to stop and get one soon!! Carol G works at Hershey's that place they make those delicious Reese's Pieces!!!. Dear Berit mentioned a Top Flicker Favorite of mine "Scrooge" the musical version from 1970. Although not well thought of critically I love this movie and it is a favorite of my mothers. I always play it while decorating the Christmas tree and watch it at various times during the year just to get a Christmas fix!! Did you know that Christopher Plummer and Rex Harrison where both offered the lead roll in this Scrooge but turned it down eventually the part went to Albert Finney. I saw this musical version done on the stage in London with the late Anthony Newley playing the lead. A couple of people asked about the newest version of "A Christmas Carol" coming out tomorrow from Disney - I can't wait!! I am not a big fan of Jim Carrey but it should be a nice movie to see. Bronny mentioned "The Muppet CC" another fun version of a great story.

Stitching is still exchange related and the flicker last night was a PBS Napoleon thing that really wasn't all that much. So I changed the channel over to TCM to catch the first evening of the month long tribute to Johnny Mercer. The flicker they started the evening off with was "The Fleets In" - 1942 - starring Dorothy Lamour, William Holden and Betty Hutton. An odd and contrived movie with some great musical numbers.

I think I will leave off with a shot from last night. Looking out across the Bay towards the Oakland Hills the moon was full and golden....

Using my little hand held camera made for a rather poor shot - but the moon was huge and beautiful!!!

Thanks you for stopping by - Don't forget to post a comment on Monday's post for the Marie Antoinette DVD Drawing - just click HERE.

Take care,
edgar

22 comments:

  1. YUMMY! I am making that fruit dessert tonight! Thanks for the suggestion!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The fall market and your dessert look just yummy!

    Loved all the Halloween party shots!

    The moon looked beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the market pics as usual. Your crumble -- yum! Looks so good! And that picture of the moon over SF -- spectacular!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How much do I love that Autumn/Harvest Moon?: So much that I even have some dishes in that motif! Maybe I'll get inspired to break out the camera and blog them. :D

    I want to see Scrooge again, myself (It was a favorite of my dear Gramma). Also, I don't think Marc has seen it, and I think he would really like it--He'll be doing impressions of that Finney's scrooge for the rest of the season, me thinks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've not cooked a plum crumble. I will have to try it as yours looks scrumptious!

    My favorite version of CC is still Patrick Stewart's one-man show. We saw it twice - once in London and once in L.A. I have the audio recording - I'm not sure if they ever did a video recording.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I, too, was in the mood for a fall dessert and had some leftover canned cherry pie filling in the fridge so I made a cherry crisp. DH and I had some yesterday and it was delicious as it was still a little warm. I didn't have any vanilla ice cream so we used Cool Whip! YUMMY!! I love these quick dessert fixes :)

    Thanks for the "moon" shot (LOL) :0

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great pics as always- going to have to make that dessert up soon(or have dh do it..lol)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your desert looks delicious, and oh those beautiful pomegranates!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yumm O, That looks so good. I don't think I have ever seen a musical version of Scrooge. I'll have to go find it. I love musicals but DH can't stand them.
    Beautiful full moon.

    Shay

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my your fruit crumble looks scrumptious.

    Actually I like that full moon photo. Love the color of the moon.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice photos from the market. Have you ever eaten a persimmon?
    Your fruit crumble looks positively yummy.
    Love the moon shot

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love these pictures. The one showing the moon is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  13. J'adore lorsque tu fais des articles avec les photos du marché!
    Wouah...la lune! Jolie photo!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Okay, you've done it now. Now I have to go buy some fresh fruit to make one of those delicious looking crumb thingys!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That dessert looks heavenly...but, I love that moon shot much better! LOL, it was a beautiful moon last night, wasn't it!

    HAPPY STITCHIN'
    Terri

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yummy Pics! I have to try making one of those desserts this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  17. OOOO the colors of fall. The market shots always look so wonderful

    Wow, the moon was gorgeous. Lovely photo, Edgar!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I do that often mixing all kinds of left over fruit,one banana,one apple etc and stir frying it and then in the oven with a biscuit base and cinammon on top or even better with some yoghurt.Lovely! I loved the full moon photo!

    ReplyDelete
  19. That desert looks delicious! Nothing says fall like a nice crumbly warm fruity treat like that!! =) The moon picture is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love the pictures. That fruit dish looks absolutely yummy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Edgar, your autumn fruit crumble looks really delicious. Your photos look so lovely that you've inspired me to make one myself. Is there a particular recipe that you follow? The farmer's markets in San Francisco look so much better than the ones over here that I've seen. It all looks so tempting that I would just want to buy everything.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Edgar, Two of your photos in particular took my breath away today: the fall flowers and the moon. Thanks so much for sharing!
    Evelyn

    ReplyDelete

“In every end, there is also a beginning.”

 Gentle Friends, I finished the sampler last night and here's a snaperooo... Village Square Sampler from Samplers Remembered   1/8 - 3/2...