Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Weekend Thrifting

Gentle Readers and Dear Friends thank you so much for your kind comments!!  I'll try and get some inside snaps on our next visit to the Basilica, it is a lovely and well appointment space.  I also wanted to mention how wonderful it is to see so many new followers!!  Thanks for joining up to follow.

Today is going to be a shortish post as I am still stitching on an exchange piece.  I wanted to show the things I picked up out and about ...


Starting with the blue and white transfer ware platter, I found that when I was in Florida and it just arrived via Safe Ship.  While in Florida I took some time to shop the various Thrift, Consignment and Antique Shops and Malls - in the greater Daytona Beach area.  I did some research before I left and found quite a few places to keep me busy.  In a rather large space called "Nicole's Beach Street Antique Mall" I found this great platter.  The pattern is "Canova" by T Meyer c. 1830-50.  It was a super price and on sale so how could I pass it up!  Moving to the right is a "new" to me copy of Charles Dickens' Christmas Stories, published by Rainbow Classics of Ohio in 1946.  As you might remember I collect "A Christmas Carol" books and often find that "ACC" is included in larger volumes of Christmas Stories or often in a single volume with "A Tale of Two Cities."  What "A Tale...'  and "A Christmas..." have in common except an author is beyond me.  Moving clockwise is a great older walnut frame with a gold fillet, I picked up for a $1 at an Estate Sale and rounding out the purchases are two "bronze" plastique religious roundels also picked up at an Estate Sale.

That's about it for the thrifty weekend buys.  Thanks again for stopping by, do stop again!!

Take care,
edgar

11 comments:

  1. You have a good eye ... a necessity when shopping thrift and consignment stores. There are a few such places around here but they carry clothes for the most part. One does have some bric-a-brac and some high end costume necklaces and brooches, etc.
    I am always interested in this sort of post since antiquing is one of my hobbies as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your thrift store finds, especially the platters. I too have many "ACC' copies, and starting after Thanksgiving. I begin to watch all ACC on tape and DVD. Silly my favorite is still Muppets ...'light the lamp not the rat".

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice finds! Love that plate! That's funny that A Tale of Two Cities is often paired with A Christmas Carol. Maybe their lengths fit together nicely? Or maybe cause they both start with A? lol!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You had a great week-end for collecting super things! Absolutely great finds!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that plate, I need to get out and start looking for yard sales and thrift shops, so many fun things to be found at them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The platter is gorgeous. I wonder if they put those two Dickens stories together because they are shorter than the others?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love blue and white crockery, willow pattern is my favourite.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The platter is beautiful, love blue and white :)

    ReplyDelete

“In every end, there is also a beginning.”

 Gentle Friends, I finished the sampler last night and here's a snaperooo... Village Square Sampler from Samplers Remembered   1/8 - 3/2...