Thursday, January 30, 2014

Thrifty Thursday and a Coffee Cake

Gentle Friends I did some running around last Saturday and found a couple of things......  let me start off with a sandwich plate that has some great silver overlay.  I usually avoid silver overlay since most of the time the silver is either pulling away or lifting, or just in really terrible condition.  This plate/tray was in great condition and here's how I found it....


.... I picked this piece up and saw that for all the tarnish and filth that underneath there was something really lovely.......

.... made by the Cambridge Glass Company, I am pretty sure it is from the 2nd quarter of the 20th century (1925-1950)  The silver was in great condition and only needed some polishing.....  here's a group shot of the other things I picked up.....

.... in addition to the tray I picked up a great transitional bisque figurine in super condition.  Although missing her male partner, she's pretty enough to stand alone!!  I also found a couple of interesting books and a cut steel ornament by Judie Bomberger.  This is from her series of 16 of Cirque du Soleil  pieces, they are hard to find and usually only turn up on secondary markets like eBay, this one is called "Zebra."
______________

On Sunday I whipped up a tasty blueberry coffee cake from the recipe on Food.com called "Very Berry Coffee Cake".......

... it came together quickly and was a a real treat with a cup of coffee!!  You can click HERE to get the recipe.
_____________


That's about it for today sports fans.  Thanks again for stopping by, do stop again!!

Take care,
edgar

9 comments:

  1. That sandwich plate is beautiful! I love the interesting things you find.

    Paula

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great finds!! I love the Cirque du Soleil ornament. Years ago when Quidam was first touring, they were in Atlanta in December, so they gave a tree to our (now defunct) Festival off Trees, benefiting Children's Healthcare. In addition to the pewter ornaments, the performers made ornaments!! So we have some really unique original art. =) Some painted round baubles and some made and painted plaster of Paris ornaments, and the cute little Chinese girls made the coolest fish from rolled and curled ribbon. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That coffee cake looks delicious! You always make me hungry. Love your purchases too. You have a good eye and always spot great finds.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dearest Edgar: Love the plate, the books are a true find, the statue is adorable, I just love great finds, tomorrow is my day to slip through the thrift stores.

    Blondie the Cat sends hugs to the Hoo Hounds, gotta go Project Runway is on.

    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  5. The tray is just beautiful and the cake looks yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yummy cake!! Love that plate you found....reminds me of candlesticks that I have that were my grandmother's.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow the sandwich plate cleaned up to a real beautiful find.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That plate is fabulous.
    Cake looks delicious - oh how I miss cake.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Geat buys! You always find such neat things! The coffee cake looks so yummy! I could use a piece of it right now with my coffee!

    ReplyDelete

“In every end, there is also a beginning.”

 Gentle Friends, I finished the sampler last night and here's a snaperooo... Village Square Sampler from Samplers Remembered   1/8 - 3/2...