Friday, March 7, 2014

"Showboat" just keeps rolling along......

Gentle Friends, after I got home and dealt with dogie time - going out, dinner, Peach pill time..... I think I need to just pop a snap of  some Who Hounds... I usually have them watching me stitch every evening...

... I took this from where I sit stitching (notice the green floss lower left) I usually have these two, the Peach and Humpi watching me and thinking sweet dogie thoughts....or are they waiting for a snackeroo??

Back to "Showboat"........ I finally got to pop my DVD of
 "Showboat" into the player....  and I was just blown away by what a great improvement this new DVD version is over what we see shown on the TV - and is far superior to my Pirated version.  Yes, I know it is bad that I had a friend burn me ripped version from an illegal DVD, but there was no other way to get a copy of the 1936 film.  The last time it was released, 1995, was on LazerDisc, and then it was bundled with the 1929 and 1951 versions - so you could have all three. 

This new DVD R version is clean, bright with great contrast -  all of the skips, breaks and scratches in the film have been removed and it really is a great remastered film. I posted a preview clip from Warner just before this Post showing how great it looks!!  Here's another clip from YouTube of the version that usually get played on TCM (you can see the TCM watermark in the lower right corner)...


....  it is Helen Morgan's performance of "Bill" -
 this was her last film, she died only a few years later, in 1941.
____________________
I would highly recommend this version of the film, it is beautiful and one of my favorite films of all time!!
______________________________

That's about it for today sports fans.  Have a super weekend, and thanks for stopping by!!

Take care,
edgar

12 comments:

  1. I have had this film on my "notify me" list at Amazon for a long time. Hopefully they'll get it in soon- thanks for the update on this Edgar. I do enjoy the 1951 version but have always wanted to see this one. I first read "Showboat" back when I was a young teenager and always loved it...saw Tom Bosley as Cap'n Andy years ago when the musical was on tour. He was okay but not as good as the film versions. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the who hounds and I think there sweet doggie thoughts are about treats! Have a great stitching weekend

    ReplyDelete
  3. D'you know I have never seen it..in any form. One to add to the list. I love old films: they are just so perfect to stitch to!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your Chi babies! I think my fur babies love when I stitch or read because it's when they can be closest without me moving away. Enjoy your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I dunno...the little whoos look ominously hungry...don't fall asleep or your toes might get nibbled!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like a great movie and the who-hounds are so cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sweet stitching buddies you have there!
    I love those old movies...especially those from the 30's.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love seeing the cute pups all cuddled up and enjoying the view of the stitching. Very interesting about Show Boat too. I haven't seen that in years! I'll have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sweet doggies - I would guess they are subliminally asking for treats.. always about the treats :) Have a fun weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awww love those cute little who hounds!

    Happy Weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your little Who Hound is the sweetest thing lying there watching you stitch. I love Show Boat, and enjoyed your review of this DVD version. I think I just may need to go add this to my collection! It's such a beautiful score. Thanks for sharing, Edgar!

    ReplyDelete

“In every end, there is also a beginning.”

 Gentle Friends, I finished the sampler last night and here's a snaperooo... Village Square Sampler from Samplers Remembered   1/8 - 3/2...