Tuesday, January 5, 2016

Christmas Cake and Christmas Day.....

Gentle Friends, I've had this Post in the works for about a week now....  the Christmas Cake I've been working on was really lots of fun and I learned so much in the doing...  you remember I made my own marzipan to cover the cake, and I was determined to make my own fondant also.  

Once again I turned to the Internet and watched a few videos of others making fondant and decided to go with the non-egg white version... the one I made was marshmallow based and like the marzipan, was not hard to make it just took some time and the doing to get it done.

It is made from basic ingredients and was really sticky.....

... but after kneading and working it I ended up with a good sized lump of the stuff.  It needed to sit over night so I let it rest and on Christmas Eve I rolled it out, made my trees et voila - 
Christmas Cake......

...writing on cake is not my strong suit, the little decorations on the trees I bought, after I settled the trees in place I sprinkled a little icing sugar over it all for a a snowy effect...I was very pleased with how it turned out looking...

Christmas Eve we all were heading for 10:00 pm Mass and I really was not going to be in the mood to make a big dinner so Rico suggested we go to Noah's and do a Bagel bar....


... it couldn't have been easier and everyone enjoyed it.....  for Christmas Day Dinner we had some friends over and I was told to keep it simple, nothing fancy so I made a eye of round roast, mashed 'taters, biscuits and Rico whipped up some of his green beans.....again a tasty dinner without much fuss...


...and after dinner I cut everyone slices of cake and everyone politely ate a piece, it was a nice fruit cake...I think I liked the marzipan the best of the whole thing!!  I am glad I learned how to make it.

_______________________

Christmas afternoon was spent lying around the house......

.... Lolly and Wahumpa....

.... and Smokie with the Peach.....  It was a lovely laid back, no stress kind of day spent with family and friends, I couldn't have asked for a nicer present!!!
______________________

I think that about wraps it up for Christmas this year, thanks for sopping by, do stop again!!

Take care,
edgar

17 comments:

  1. Could you mail me a piece of that cake Edgar? IT looks delish. One of my friends makes marzipan and she cuts letters out of the marzipan to decorate it , which is what I would have to do too. I have nice handwriting but writing on a cake is different!! And your biscuits looks like a real Southern baker made them. Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your cake looks awesome, Edgar! Sounds like you had a great Christmas. Now it's on to 2016...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you had a nice, quiet Christmas. The food looks delicious........that looks like the perfect biscuit. Kudos to your cake baking skills! I admire your "I can do this" attitude in your baking and stitching. And, that you post pictures along the way. lol May the new year bring only good health and happiness to you and your family.

    Paula

    ReplyDelete
  4. The cake is lovely and I bet it tasted great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful cake, Edgar!! I think I am in the minority, but I love fruitcake. Thanks so much for all the beautiful photos you share with us. I always say that when I get to San Francisco it will never be able to live up to your gorgeous snapshots!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your cake is looking so yummy...
    Sound like you had a lovely Christmas ...
    Happy new year x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your Christmas cake looks delicious

    ReplyDelete
  8. Am so glad you wrote about your fruit cake--I was wondering how it all came together. Your Christmas sounds perfect and food choices look perfect. And then everyone settled in for some relaxation--my kind of gathering

    ReplyDelete
  9. "Everyone politely ate a piece." My favorite blogger sentence of 2016! But, your cake looked to be a culinary masterpiece. Wish I could have tasted it! Thanks for sharing your cake story.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dearest Edgar: Happy New Year, I love the food pictures but your babies grab my heart, they are so sweet.
    That cake looks so yummy.

    Blessings
    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  11. Next year, I'm coming to your house. You can see by the vague emptiness of my blog Christmas wasn't all it could be. :) I'll even eat a piece of fruitcake! Happy New Year, Edgar@

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congrats on the success with the fondant. I don't think I'm brave enough to attempt it. I'm happy you had a good holiday. Hopefully they weren't just being polite, and some of them at least enjoyed the cake...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Edgar, thanks for sharing your cake. I would never make one but was fascinated with yours! You did a wonderful job.
    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  14. We had the same kind of Christmas! I think the cake was very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your decorated cake is AMAZING!! What an artistic creation! I'm sure it was delicious as well.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy New Year! Your cake turned out so fantastic! I'm sure it was delicious as well. I think that a low key holiday with a simple meal leaves more time for enjoying friends and family.

    ReplyDelete
  17. That is my types of bagel bar!! love the capers with the red onion and lox.
    Edgar that cake looks amazing! you are so talented.

    ReplyDelete

“In every end, there is also a beginning.”

 Gentle Friends, I finished the sampler last night and here's a snaperooo... Village Square Sampler from Samplers Remembered   1/8 - 3/2...